Monday, August 25, 2008

Going back to Cali, yeah, I think so

Well, I just got back from my seven day cruise to Alaska. Many thanks to Michael Soto for taking over in my absence.

One of the stops along the way was in Prince Rupert. Most of the people on the ship felt that stopping here was unnecessary as there was not much to do in Prince Rupert B.C.

I was not one of those people; Prince Rupert is a major container port and a prime competitor to Los Angeles / Long Beach.

Prince Rupert is an island, and the containers were loaded directly to rail cars to be shipped to Chicago. As such, there wasn't any distribution centers around the port that I could see, the only interstitial space was fishing/ boating related.

Phase I of the project is completed and can handle 500,000 TEU's a year. Phase II is under-construction and can handle 3 million TEU's a year, around a third of what comes through the port of Los Angeles.




No comments: